|Sanquhar Curling Society, 1874 A lively history of the society was written by James Brown, the Secretary, to mark its centenary in 1874. Brown, who achieved fame in both curling and bowling was also the author of "The History of Sanquhar", published in 1891.|
On the 21st January 1774 sixty local curlers met to play on the Black Loch on Sanquhar Moor, and later that day in the Queensberry Arms resolved to form a curling society. Bonspiels with other parishes became important local events and Sanquhar would play against Kirkconnel, Morton, Penpont and New Cumnock.
|There appears to have been at least four curling clubs active in the town of Dumfries in the first part of the 1800. These were the Dumfries Curling Club, the Friars Vennel Curling Club, the Queensberry Street Curling Club and the curiously named Rowly Powly Curling Club.|
|Silver cup, Friars Vennel Curling Club, Dumfries, 1869|
Royal Caledonian Curling Club
This club existed independently of Sanquhar Curling Society, referred to as
"the ordinary society" but was mainly made up of its members with some players
This club existed independently of Sanquhar Curling Society, referred to as "the ordinary society" but was mainly made up of its members with some players from Kirkconnel.