Follow signs to Elrig from the A747. Half a mile north of the village a narrow lane
leads to Airylick Farm where cars can be left. Follow signs to Barhobble.
Please close all gates.
Recent excavations at Barhobble have led to the rediscovery of a lost Dark Age chapel.
The restored remains can be seen of a stone church which was constructed around AD1125 and continued in use until the 12th century when Mochrum parish church was built. It was then converted to a chapel and used until around 1300.
During excavation traces of a small Dark Age chapel were found beneath the stone church. It had been built in timber around AD 1050 and was surrounded by a large cemetery. A number of stone grave markers were decorated with pagan Scandinavian symbols. Barhobble's Dark Age chapel may have served a community of Celto-Norse farmers who shared a variety of religious beliefs,
Finds from the excavation are on display in the Visitor Centre at Whithorn.